• “I’m going to give you a little advice. There’s a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.”
Ty Webb, Caddyshack
• “No matter where you go, there you are.” – Buckaroo Banzai, Buckaroo Banzai, Across the Eighth Dimension
• “If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?” – Albert Einstein
• “Yeah, well. The Dude abides.” – The Dude, The Big Lebowski
• “It’s 106 miles to Chicago, we’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses.” “Hit it!” Elwood, The Blues Brothers
On A More Serious Note:
• “No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.” – Albert Einstein
• “You can’t get quality from an adversarial relationship.” – William Glasser
• “A leader is one who has more faith in people that they do in themselves, and who courageously and patiently holds opportunities open long enough for their self-confidence to emerge.” – Margaret Wheatley
• Peace is not something you give to yourself; it is something you give to others. – Unknown
• “The person of prayer, quite simply, is a person who can cry from the heart and laugh from the belly!” – Richard Rohr
• “As we integrate and forgive our shadow, life looks different. We see what we have never dared look at before. Biblical faith feels like giving up our eyes and seeing things as God sees them. God doesn’t look at our fault, but at the place in us that are trying to say “yes”. You do that same with your own children. You see beyond the “no” to the abiding “yes”. God sees the divine image in you as you see your image in your children. God looks at us and sees that we reflect the diving image. We move, we smile we play in God just like children reflect their parents in every move and smile (and even flaw). Julian of Norwich says it so well:
• ‘God judges us by our true inner nature, which is always kept whole in him, safe and sound forever, and this judgment comes from his rightfulness, whereas we judge by the outward, changeable nature…In his judgment, I saw him assign no whit of blame to us.’ (Chapter 45 Revelations of Divine Love)
• How different Christianity would be if it had only believed in such healing Love!” – Richard Rohr
• “Spread love everywhere you go: First of all in your own house… let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness.” – Mother Teresa
• “There is no way to peace; Peace is the way.”
• “He regarded a day greeted without real enthusiasm as a sadly lost opportunity,”
Mario Cuomo, who employed Russert as an aide in the early 1980s, remark at Russert’s funeral.
• You can always find prettier, handsomer, skinnier, wiser, richer, younger, or zippier. But more often than not, one might learn the most, laugh the loudest, and smile the widest with those they’ve already found, especially when they stop looking elsewhere. – Unknown source
• “Truly, you have formed my inner most being; you knit me in my mother’s womb. I give you thanks that I am fearfully, wonderfully made; wonderful are your works.” – Psalm 139:13-14
BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
DON’T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
DON’T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings,
sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; It will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best,
and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret.
From: The Four Agreements / Don Miguel Ruiz
If Tomorrow never comes
If I knew it would be the last time that I’d see you fall asleep,
I would tuck you in more tightly and pray the Lord, your soul to keep.
If I knew it would be the last time that I’d see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss and call you back for more.
If I knew it would be the last time to hear your voice lift up in praise,
I’d videotape each action and word, so I could play them day by day.
If I knew it would be the last time, I would spare an extra minute or two,
To stop and say “I love you!” instead of assuming you know I do.
If I knew it would be the last time I could be there to share your day,
Well, I’m sure you’ll have so many more; I can let just this one slip away.
For there’ll always be tomorrow, to make up for an oversight,
And we always get another chance to make everything alright.
There will always be another day to say our “I love you’s”,
And certainly there’s another chance for “Anything I can do?”
But in case I might be wrong and today is all we get,
I’d like to say how very much I love you, and I hope we never forget,
Tomorrow is not promised to anyone, young or old alike,
And today may be the one last chance, to hold your loved one tight.
So if you’re waiting for tomorrow, why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes, you’ll surely regret the day,
That you didn’t take the extra time for a smile, a hug or kiss,
And were too busy to grant, what turned out to be your loved ones final wish.
So hold your loved ones close today, and whisper in their ear,
Tell them how much you love them, and you’ll always hold them dear,
Take time to say “I’m sorry”, “please forgive me” or “its okay”,
And if tomorrow never comes, you’ll have no regrets about today.
• When you’re going to run in a marathon: (A metaphor for Living)
Pace yourself, Drink liquids (replenish), Look ahead, Take the next step, Enjoy yourself.
• If marriage is the life vocation you have chosen, you are each others’ path to know and love God. It is as holy a way as any vocation and your bond is sacred. Reverence each other today. – Susan Vogt
• Beside restful waters He leads me. He refreshes my soul. – Psalm 23
• In some way, God needs all of us. When God planned the world God had us in mind. She/He is still counting on us.
• If you put your trust in God, He will help you when no one else can.
• Only God can fill the yearning for happiness in every heart.
• God is speaking to you now in the marvels of His world. If you listen carefully you will hear Him.
Listen Carefully, Marianist Missionary, Rev. Joseph McCoy, SM